Students learn about the amazing properties of graphite—a network covalent solid. A 360° video provides an inside view into the bonding basics of graphite and describes the reasoning behind its ability to conduct electricity. A quick pre-lab homework assignment serves as a refresher for other types of bonding (e.g., ionic, covalent, metallic) Then students head into the lab and create their very own graphite circuit with paper, a #2 pencil and an LED. Successful illumination of the LED completes the lab!
Individual Flinn blended Learning Solution Kits include experiment supplies and 1 year of digital content access to one lab for 30 users. Digital features include:
- Anytime, anywhere digital access to prelab, technique and summary videos that help students focus on understanding core chemical concepts and progress through experiments independently.
- Digital procedures optimized to work, with embedded assessments and real sample data and enough materials for 24–30 students working in small groups to complete each experiment
- Unique takes on core chemistry concepts and clear connections to the things students experience in their everyday lives.
- Virtual reality simulations that place students “inside the beaker” to connect the atomic and macroscopic scales and browser-based simulations that allow students to generate digital emission spectra and pH indicator tables.
- Built-in safety training—videos and assessments on pre-lab safety, proper PPE, safety equipment, procedure safety, chemical disposal, hazard recognition and emergency response.