Combine two clear liquids and heat them, then watch as the mixture produces vivid color changes from red to green to blue as it cools. From skin mapping to circuit board testing to mood rings, liquid crystals have amazing modern applications. Liquid crystals have properties hovering between solids and liquids—molecules move independently as in a liquid, but they tend to orient or align themselves like a crystalline solid. The alignment of the molecules changes with temperature to produce fascinating color changes. A simple introduction to nanotechnology!
Complete for 8 groups of students working in groups of 3 or 4.
Individual Flinn blended Learning Solution Kits include experiment supplies and 1 year of digital content access to one lab for 30 users. Digital features include:
- Anytime, anywhere digital access to prelab, technique and summary videos that help students focus on understanding core chemical concepts and progress through experiments independently.
- Digital procedures optimized to work, with embedded assessments and real sample data and enough materials for 24–30 students working in small groups to complete each experiment
- Unique takes on core chemistry concepts and clear connections to the things students experience in their everyday lives.
- Virtual reality simulations that place students “inside the beaker” to connect the atomic and macroscopic scales and browser-based simulations that allow students to generate digital emission spectra and pH indicator tables.
- Built-in safety training—videos and assessments on pre-lab safety, proper PPE, safety equipment, procedure safety, chemical disposal, hazard recognition and emergency response.