Pour distilled water into an “empty” cup and the water solidifies into a gel. In another beaker add a small amount of powder, pour in distilled water and see an avalanche of fresh powdered “snow.” These remarkable sodium polyacrylate polymers have many water absorbing applications, including indoor artificial snow! Teacher Demonstration Notes included. Enough materials are included to perform this demonstration seven times.
Concepts: Polymers, osmosis, cross-linking.
Time Required: 10 minutes
Chemicals Provided: Sodium polyacrylate, PolySnow™.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 389
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 502
You May Also Like
- Beakers, Borosilicate Glass, 250-mL
- Sodium Alginate Polymer - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Slime for Everyone! Student Laboratory Kit
Polymers, Polymers, Polymers -
Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Grow-Dino Measurement - Student Laboratory Kit
- Water Marbles - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Structures and Properties of Polymers - Activity-Stations Kit
- Mystery Nylon Factory - Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Polymers, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 21
- Applications of Chemistry DVD Set