Finally! A demonstration that conclusively shows that frictional forces are independent of the contact area. The uniquely designed base has a wedge shaved out to provide a continuously changing surface area. As the sled is pulled along the base, the contact area increases or decreases but the frictional forces remain constant. There's no other demonstration that shows this principle of friction so decisively! Add weights to the sled and show that the frictional forces are proportional only to the normal force acting on the sled. Base and sled are made from hardwood and will last for years. A spring scale is required, but not included. Base dimensions: 16 cm x 100 cm. Sled dimensions 15 cm x 20 cm.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 606
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 286
You May Also Like
- Spring Scales, Pull-type, 250-g/2.5 N, Pkg./6
- Friction Blocks
- Force and Motion - Student Laboratory Kit
- Bed of Nails
- Balloon Rockets - Guided-Inquiry Kit
- Free Fall Student Laboratory Kit
- Free Fall and Projectile Motion Poster
- Diving Eggs Inertia Challenge - Newton's First Law Demonstration
- Newton's Laws Activity-Stations Kit
- Investigating Gravity - Super Value Laboratory Kit