How old is the copper penny in your pocket? It may be older than you think! Recovery and recycling of copper metal is a thriving industry. The purpose of this experiment is to carry out a sequence of chemical reactions that starts with copper and ends with copper. The “four reaction copper cycle” illustrates the properties of copper and its compounds and demonstrates different types of chemical reactions. “Copper-cycle” experiments are classic labs—the reactions in this lab have been optimized to make them as safe and efficient as possible. Students and teachers will love the beautiful reactions and the challenge of reclaiming the copper. Lab can be completed in one 50-minute class period! Includes reproducible student handouts, detailed background information, complete Teacher Notes with sample data and answers to all questions, and all necessary chemicals and consumable supplies.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs.
Additional ResourcesNo Additional Resources at the time.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 435
You May Also Like
- Flinn Scientific Electronic Balance, 410 x 0.01-g
- Hot Plate, Flinn, 7" X 7"
- Sequence of Chemical Reactions - Student Laboratory Kit
Identifying Chemical Reactions -
- Balancing Equations - Super Value Kit
- The Two-Cent Colorful Chemical Demonstration Kit
- Recycling Aluminum - Synthesis of Alum - Student Laboratory Kit
- Chemical Reactions - Student Laboratory Kit
- Chemical Reactions and Stoichiometry DVD Set
- Chemical Reactions, Flinn ChemTopic Labs Book, Volume 6