The FBI Crime Laboratory works closely with pharmaceutical companies to produce tests for drugs they develop. The “standards” are critical for the proper identification of “unknown” drugs at a later time. Accurate drug identification has many crime scene implications.
In this activity, your students will assume the role of a crime lab chemist and create a set of standards for the identification of four simulated drugs. Once the set of standards has been established, students will perform chemical tests on an “unknown” simulated drug found at a crime scene. This laboratory, set in a crime scene scenario, will create enormous interest and motivate students to learn numerous chemistry procedures. All simulated drugs and chemical test materials are provided as well as detailed teacher and student materials.
Complete for 30 students working in pairs.
Flinn Catalog/Reference Manual Page 566
Flinn Middle School Catalog/Reference Manual Page 489
You May Also Like
- Identification of Unknown Substances II - Forensic Laboratory Kit
- Analysis of Over-the-Counter Drugs - Student Laboratory Kit
- Food Analysis Mystery - Forensic Laboratory Kit
- Who Cheated in the Race? Red Blood Cell Volume Forensic Laboratory Kit
- Mr. Mathematics Mysterious Murder - Student Laboratory Kit
- The Coroner's Report - Urine and Blood Analysis Laboratory Kit
- Of Maggots and Murder - Forensic Entomology Laboratory Kit
- Detective's Casebook - Forensic Laboratory Kit
- Bloodstain Pattern Analysis - Forensic Laboratory Kit
- Amino Acid Fingerprints - Demonstration Kit