|Address||P.O. Box 219 Batavia, IL 60510|
This item can only be shipped to schools, museums and science centers
Explore the principles, properties and applications of acid–base chemistry with five coordinated—and colorful—activities for this vital unit in your curriculum. Two demonstrations, a lab experiment and two POGIL™ activities provide a well-rounded approach for student success.
• The Indicator Sponge is one of the best discrepant-event demonstrations of all time!
• Take a grand tour of the Properties of Acids and Bases in this microscale experiment combining indicator, reactivity and conductivity tests to classify acids and bases and analyze the pH scale.
• Everything you ever wanted to know about acids and bases can be explained by the rainbow of color changes observed in the Upset Tummy? MOM to the Rescue! demonstration.
• Students discover that not all acids are created equal in the Strong vs. Weak Acids POGIL activity.
• The Calculating pH POGIL activity helps students understand and practice these vital calculations.
The package includes enough chemicals to perform the lab and learning activities listed below. Quantities of chemicals are sufficient for three classes of 30 students working in pairs! Instructions for all activities may be found in Acids and Bases, Volume 13 in the Flinn ChemTopic™ Labs series, which is included in the package. Common laboratory equipment is required and available separately.
Materials Included in Kit:
Flinn ChemTopic™ Labs: Acids and Bases, Volume 13
Acetic acid solution, 0.1 M, 280 mL
Ammonium hydroxide solution, 0.1 M, 200 mL
Food dye, blue, 15 mL
Food dye, red, 15 mL
Hydrochloric acid solution, 0.1 M, 500 mL
Hydrochloric acid solution, 3 M, 250 mL
Hydrochloric acid, 1 M, 700 mL
Magnesium ribbon, 6 feet, 2
Milk of magnesia, 150 mL
Phenolphthalein solution, 1%, 100 mL
Sodium hydroxide solution, 0.1 M, 500 mL
Sodium hydroxide solution, 1 M, 700 mL
Universal indicator solution, 50 mL
Universal indicator solution, 100 mL
Hydrion® 1-12 pH test strips, 3
Litmus neutral test paper, vial, 3
POGIL® activity - Calculating pH
POGIL activity - Strong vs. Weak