|Address||P.O. Box 219 Batavia, IL 60510|
Item #: AP7697
Temporarily out of stock; call for availability.
This item can only be shipped to schools, museums and science centers
The study of chemistry begins in the lab! Build a solid foundation for student achievement with five activities—three experiments, one demonstration and a POGIL™ activity.
• The scientific method is a process of discovery! Begin with Observation and Experiment, a guided-inquiry lab that students hold in their hands to see and feel what chemistry is all about.
• Captivate students with the most popular demonstration ever, Polyurethane Foam! Students learn about chemical and physical changes leading to one amazing product.
• With the Organizing Data POGIL activity, students recognize that the scientific method involves more than collecting data.
• Learn to measure mass and volume, graph data and identify trends with the Discovering Density experiment.
• Continue sorting data with the Properties of Elements microscale experiment. Investigate the physical and chemical properties of eight elements and classify them as metals, nonmetals or metalloids.
The package includes chemicals and specialty equipment to perform the lab and learning activities listed below. Quantities of chemicals are sufficient for three classes of 30 students working in pairs! Instructions for all activities may be found in Introduction to Chemistry, Volume 1, and Elements, Compounds and Mixtures, Volume 2 in the Flinn ChemTopic™ Labs series. Both books are included in the package. . Common laboratory equipment is required and available separately.
Materials Included in Kit:
Flinn ChemTopic™ Labs: Introduction to Chemistry, Volume 1
Flinn ChemTopic™ Labs: Elements, Compounds and Mixtures, Volume 2
Aluminum shot, 90 g
Brass shot, 500 g
Calcium chloride, 750 g
Carbon, charcoal, 90 g
Copper(II) chloride solution, 0.1 M, 500 mL
Hydrochloric acid solution, 1 M, 500 mL
Iron nails, 3", 90
Magnesium metal ribbon, 2 feet, 3
Phenol red, aqueous solution, 500 mL, 2
Polyurethane foam, part a, 140 mL
Polyurethane foam, part b, 140 mL
Silicon lumps, 60 g
Sodium bicarbonate, lab grade, 350 g, 2
Sulfur, 50 g
Tin shot, 100 g
Zinc shot, 500 g
Zinc strips, 2/pkg, 3
Chemtopic™ #1 Introduction to Chemistry
Chemtopic™ #2 Elements, Compounds, and Mixtures
POGIL® Organizing Data