A Christmas of Chemistry Demonstration Kit makes the holiday season joyous. These demonstrations will amuse and enlighten your students. Growing crystal firs and making holiday solutions are among the seven demonstrations included.
See more product details
(Select option to see volume pricing availability)
Make the holiday season joyous with seven chemistry demonstrations guaranteed to amuse and enlighten the entire class.
• Mix two clear liquids and produce a “snowfall” of white flaky precipitate.
• Make two solutions of holiday green and red and watch as they suddenly switch colors.
• Miniature paper trees are placed in crystal growing solutions to create a forest of snow-covered firs.
• A triangle of copper, a drop of silver chloride and presto, the world’s smallest Christmas tree grows before the class’s very eyes.
• Warm the holiday season with a cozy Yuletide fire of red and green.
• Discuss saturation and solubility while welcoming Santa Claus’s arrival in a snowstorm.
• Use “disappearing ink” to write an invisible holiday greeting that, when sprayed with a dilute basic solution, reveals the message in red and green.
Concepts: Solubility, precipitation, solvation, gels, crystal formation, atomic emission, oxidation–reduction, clock reaction, buffers, acids and bases, indicators.
Time Required: One full class period.
Note: Some laboratory equipment is required but not provided.
Correlation to Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS)
Science & Engineering Practices
Obtaining, evaluation, and communicating information
Disciplinary Core Ideas
MS-PS1.B: Chemical Reactions
HS-PS1.B: Chemical Reactions
Stability and change