The Flinn’s Exploring Chemistry™
—Solids, Liquids and Solutions Package analyzes phase transitions, molecular forces and factors affecting solution formation. Students discover interrelationships that lead to this understanding.
See more product details
(Select option to see volume pricing availability)
The properties of solids, liquids and solutions let us see inside the world of atoms and molecules. Two demonstrations, two experiments and two POGIL™ activities offer rich opportunities for students to actively explore phase transitions, attractive forces between molecules and the factors that affect solution formation.
• The Surface Tension Jar demonstration is not magic! Hydrogen bonding produces a force powerful enough to prevent water from spilling out of an upside-down open jar.
• The heating and cooling curves students plot in the It’s Just a Phase experiment reveal that liquids release heat when they solidify.
• In the guided-inquiry Factors Affecting Solution Formation experiment, students design a series of tests to explore the effects of different variables.
• In the Solubility POGIL activity, students learn how to quantify this concept.
• The Alka-Seltzer® and Gas Solubility demonstration shows that generalizations don’t always hold when predicting the effect of temperature on solubility.
• The Molarity POGIL activity helps students develop the skills to understand and calculate solution concentrations.
Includes chemicals, specialized materials and complete instructions as well as free online video resources for three classes of 30 students working in pairs. Common laboratory equipment is required and available separately.